Outreach Bursary Scheme
Funding to promote materials science and engineering across the UK
The Henry Royce Institute for advanced materials is dedicated to inspiring the materials scientists and
engineers of the future. Our aim is to raise awareness of materials science and engineering at a national level and to promote the discipline as an undergraduate subject choice.
To support this we have launched an Outreach Bursaries Scheme to fund the development of activities
and workshops to engage children and young adults in materials science and engineering.
Applicants can apply for funding of up to £500* to deliver:
• A table-top activity for science festivals and outreach events
• A workshop or demonstration for schools visits or summer school
• Teaching materials for schools
• An activity for undergraduate taster days
The funding can be used to purchase materials to support any of the above initiatives.
Some example curriculum areas are available below but an activity does not need to be limited to these:
• Materials and their properties
• Energy generation and storage
• Design, Make & Test
• Manufacturing processes
• Mechanical devices
Applicants need to complete the Outreach Bursaries Scheme Application Form outlining what science
the activity aims to convey and how it will be delivered. Please submit the completed form to
email@example.com. We will then be in touch when a decision has been made.
Any student or staff member from the following categories may apply:
• A Royce Partner (the Universities of Manchester, Cambridge, Imperial College London, Leeds,
Liverpool, Oxford, Sheeld, National Nuclear Laboratory, UKAEA).
• the Discover Materials network (the universities of Birmingham, Swansea, Loughborough,
Queen Mary of London).
If you have any queries regarding the Outreach Bursaries Scheme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org