The Henry Royce Institute for advanced materials is opening up facilities across the UK to support researchers with access to state-of-the-art materials science and engineering equipment.
The Royce Researcher Equipment Access Scheme offers funding to researchers at all stages of their careers, from PDRAs through to tenured academics, to access facilities from across the Royce Partnership. We particularly encourage applications from Early Career Researchers and those returning from career breaks.
The scheme is designed to:
- Open up Royce facilities to service the UK academic materials community
- Build relationships and develop future collaboration opportunities
What equipment does Royce have?
As the national institute for advanced materials, Royce has an extensive catalogue of equipment including facilities to make, test and characterise materials.
Researchers can identify a specific piece of equipment they require or discuss what techniques might work best for a materials-based analysis with our experienced Research and Facilities Teams.
Browse the Royce Equipment Catalogue here.
Current Royce Funding Opportunities
The scheme is open to researchers at all stages of their careers.
Applications can only be made to use Royce equipment NOT based at the university where the researcher is employed.
The scheme aims to support well-defined single packages of work, which are not to be extended over long periods. For example, the work packages are not open-ended arrangements for the whole of a research grant.
Applications to the Royce Researcher Equipment Access Scheme should involve one of the below:
- Development of new materials, systems, or processes
- Improving understanding of the performance or failure of materials or materials systems
- A materials issue which is impacting the study in some way
- Method development which would widen the scope of Royce’s capabilities
- Aligns with any of the Royce Core Research Areas.
Please read the Researcher Equipment Access Scheme Guidance Notes in full before making an enquiry.
How to apply?
Please fill in the enquiry form in the grey box below to register your interest for the Royce Researcher Equipment Access Scheme.
Individual work packages may require the use of more than one item of equipment (e.g. where sample preparation is followed by use of a characterisation or measurement technique, or where more than one characterisation technique is required). Where this is known, it can be indicated in the Initial Enquiry Form.
Applications must be submitted by 29 January 2021 and work must be completed before 26 March 2021.
- Submit an initial enquiry via the “Initial Enquiry Form” below (in grey)
- The Royce Hub will connect you with the relevant Royce Facility Manager at the appropriate Partner organisation.
- The Royce Facility Manager will agree the costed programme of work and schedule for completion.
- You will then need to submit a Proposal Form for funding to the Royce Hub.
- If your proposal is accepted, you will be notified by the Royce Hub and can proceed to carry out the schedule of work at the Partner organisation.