The Henry Royce Institute for advanced materials is seeking applicants for membership of its Strategic Advisory Board (SAB)
The Strategic Advisory Board (SAB) provides independent advice to the Governing Board (GB), the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Chief Scientist (CS), on the programme of activities, the provision of technical facilities, and the strategy and operation of Royce as a national institute for materials science and engineering. Key focus areas are:
- Overseeing the operation of the facilities and access to these for the materials community.
- Ensuring the quality and timeliness of scientific output.
- Supporting the role of the Institute in shaping the UK’s Advanced Materials landscape and in its role as a catalyst for materials innovation across industry and academia.
The SAB provides expert advice to the Royce executive officers and acts as a critical friend to them, along with providing advice to the GB on how successfully the vision and original goals are being achieved, including the evaluation of any metrics.
The Board’s commitment to its diversity goals will be an important factor in its decision process (see ‘Diversity’ header below for more information). Applications are encouraged from groups currently underrepresented on the Board. We are also particularly keen to have representation from early-career practitioners in the field, from both industry (in particular the SME community) and academia, who can bring a unique view to the Board.
Candidates will be judged relative to their career stage on the following criteria:
- National/international standing in an area of materials related research.
- Interest in the promotion of the field of materials science as a whole.
- Understanding and experience of industry-academia collaborations and, where appropriate, commercialisation of materials concepts.
- Expertise in one of the following Royce research areas: Biomedical Materials, Atoms to Devices, Materials for Energy Efficient ICT, Chemical Materials Design.
Appointees will be expected to attend a minimum of four meetings per year. Each meeting typically lasts 4 hours and requires 2 hours of preparation. Members are paid a fee for each meeting they attend and, when attending physical meetings, are reimbursed for travel and subsistence expenses.
Please note that applications from individuals employed by one of the Royce Partner or Associate institutions cannot be considered.
Royce actively encourages applicants from diverse career paths and backgrounds and from all sections of the community regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation, gender or gender expression. We are currently piloting positive action in recruitment, aiming in this case for at least one in three of the candidates that meet the essential shortlisting criteria and are to be interviewed (after shortlist) to be women, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, LGBTQ+ or to have a declared disability. Equal opportunities data completed by applicants will not be accessible by the panel.
Term of office: The appointment will be for 3 years, with the possibility of extending for 1 year and/or of being extended for a second term.
Meeting dates: The SAB meets a minimum of five times a year. Meetings are hosted at one of the Royce Partner sites.
HOW TO APPLY AND CONTACT INFORMATION
To apply, please send your CV and a short covering statement indicating your suitability for the role (maximum of 4 pages in total for both documents) to Jessica Shaw on email@example.com. Jessica can also be contacted should you require further information on Royce or the process.
The deadline for applications is 17th November 2020. It is expected that interviews will take place between 2nd and 9th December 2020.