Global Research and Innovation in Plastics Sustainability (GRIPS) 2021 is a conference, exhibition and showcase that will be held online from 16th – 18th March 2021. It is hosted by the UK Circular Plastics Network, organised by KTN and supported by Innovate UK, EPSRC and UKRI.
GRIPS will boast keynote talks from Professor Richard Thompson, Professor John McGeehan, Professor Duncan Wingham, Helen Bird of WRAP and KTN’s CEO, Dr Alicia Greated, who will share the latest thinking, research and technologies in plastics sustainability. Professor Ed Kosior of Nextek will be dialling in from Australia and Marc A. Hillmyer McKnight of the University of Minnesota, will be speaking from the US. There is also an international reception hosted by the UK’s Department of International Trade with speakers joining from Nigeria and India.
The three-day event, which is expected to bring together over 1,000 delegates from across all industries, will also feature 50 innovation and research-driven exhibitors on a virtual show floor. Confirmed exhibitors include the British Plastics Federation, Potter Clarkson LLP, Centre for Enzyme Innovation at the University of Portsmouth, Petit Pli, and Interface Polymers. Attendees will be able to learn about some of the world’s best initiatives and developments, striving to make plastics less likely to reach landfills, end up incinerated, or become fugitive in the environment.
Dr Sally Beken, Polymer Knowledge Transfer Manager at KTN, says,
“GRIPS 2021 will be the first of a new global event that will take place every two years to celebrate all the great work in plastics sustainability and to drive it forwards. We’ll be showcasing lots of exciting technology at this first show, and we already have hundreds of delegates signed up from the plastic packaging, FMCG, construction, agriculture, textiles, and healthcare industries, to name but a few – so there’s going to be lots of really positive networking opportunities too. I can’t tell you how excited we are, this is going to go a long way in our collective mission to reduce the amount of plastic going to landfill, being incinerated or ending up polluting the environment in some other way.”
Sustainable Materials Innovation Hub @ GRIPS 2021
On 16 March, hear from Prof Michael Shaver, Director of Royce’s Sustainable Materials Innovation Hub who will be taking part in the Sustainable Plastics & Packaging Session from 12:30 – 13:30. The Sustainable Materials Innovation Hub will also be exhibiting at the conference with colleagues available to support businesses with advice on their plastics usage.
What’s on at GRIPS 2021?
• An exhibition and conference
• Online attendee networking platform
• An academic speaker programme of cutting-edge research in plastics, including behaviour change and business modelling
• A business led programme of innovations in plastic sustainability
• A pitching event – highlighting a portfolio of UK funded projects and selected International projects
• An investment panel, where potential investable ideas will be presented
• Sessions include: funding opportunities and funded projects; microfibres; textiles and fashion; sustainability in the health, chemical and agriculture sectors; plastics and net zero; Women in Plastics; the role of AI in plastics; an international reception and much more