We are a different kind of research institute – open to industry, academia and the public.
The Henry Royce Institute has been established to develop and exploit the UK’s world-leading excellence in advanced materials research.
We believe that collaboration between our world-leading researchers and others will create real solutions to global challenges by developing Materials for a Sustainable Society.
- Green Energy & Fusion Power – New modes of energy generation, storage and use from hydrogen to fusion power and energy-efficient devices.
- Infrastructure & Mobility – Efficient housing, clean transport and transforming foundation industries for clean manufacturing.
- Digital & Communications – Low energy storage for data. Quantum technologies for computing, sensors and data storage.
- Circular Economy – Rethinking the way we use plastic and engage with waste streams. Developing truly degradable materials.
- Health & Wellbeing – Reducing carbon emissions and enabling clean water production. Delivering personalised medicine and supporting an aging population.
As an international flagship for the discovery and development of new materials systems, the Royce will:
Support and grow world-recognised excellence in UK materials research
Accelerate commercial exploitation of materials research
Deliver positive impact for a more sustainable society
We are the front door to the UK advanced materials community